- H. B. Whitehorne Middle School
Bring Your Own Tech Device to School!
August 2, 2018
Over the past several years, HBW teachers have embraced the utilization of chromebook devices for students’ individual use in
the classroom. Chromebooks in the classroom allow students to conduct individualized research, access programs designed to
challenge them at their current academic levels and view relevant academic video clips. Additionally, many teachers post,
collect, and provide feedback for assignments through the Google Classroom platform.
As we look ahead to the 2018-19 school year, HBW has 14 chromebook carts consisting of 25-30 devices that are used by
students in classes throughout the day. As technology changes the way students learn in school, we have received requests from
parents asking if their child has permission to bring in their own laptop or chromebook. Such permission is granted under
district policy number 2363, which can be found on the www.veronaschools.org website.
Under the district’s “Student Use of Privately-Owned Technology” policy, students are permitted to bring personal technology
devices such as a laptop computer, chromebook, tablet, and electronic reader to school for educational purposes. Students may
use their privately-owned device in school under the following conditions:
● Use of privately-owned devices come at no expense to the district.
● Use must be approved by student’s parent or legal guardian.
● A teaching staff member must approve a student’s use of privately-owned technology.
● A student granted such permission must comply with the school district policies and regulations regarding acceptable
use of computers and technology.
● The school district assumes no responsibility for the security of or damage to any privately-owned technology brought to
school by a student. Students are encouraged to purchase private insurance for loss, damage, or theft of any
privately-owned technology the student brings to school.
● A student utilizing privately-owned device will not have an academic advantage over students who do not bring their
While students are welcome and encouraged to bring their own devices, devices owned by the district will be provided to
students when the teacher’s assignment calls for it. While HBW’s 14 chromebook carts are enough to cover roughly half of our
student body at any given time, our teachers do a great job sharing the carts so that, in most cases, teachers and students have
access to chromebooks when needed. Nonetheless, if you are interested in providing your child with a device to bring to school,
you are encouraged and welcome to do so.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Best wishes for a happy and relaxing summer!
Ms. Yvette McNeal and Mr. David Galbierczyk